Why thrifting sparks joy

07:02 Hanna Tantoco 0 Comments Category : , , , ,


It’s no secret that I love clothes, I mean just look at my Instagram feed. Even when I was studying, I would save my allowance, compromise on good and healthy food just to buy a new shirt during the weekend. As shallow as it sounds, I’ve actually spent more on clothes than on food. My fashion taste has also evolved through the years and I find myself going for quality now over quantity. I try to purchase clothes I can re-wear through different seasons and occasions and invest in timeless classics as well. It’s only when I started working and travelling that I actually got exposed to thrifting and buying second-hand clothes and vintage items. I love hitting the Portobello Road market in London and checking out vintage finds in Tokyo, locally there are the weekend flea markets, Salvation army and even online.


Why it sparks joy


It’s cheaper. I purchased a pair of denim cut outs for $1. The value for money is insane and people have come to ask where I’ve purchased it. So before you think of carting out that maxi dress for $79.90, check out your local flea markets first, you might just be lucky!

Favourite denims


Better quality. It’s called fast-fashion for a reason, because high street brands now have significantly cut down on the quality of materials making it almost disposable after three washes. As much as I love buying clothes from markets in Bangkok, I also know I wouldn’t see it in my closet after a year.

Unique designs. My greatest fear during first day of school is seeing anybody wear the same thing. Same goes with going to work. The most quotable experience  I have to date is going to a pitch meeting and actually seeing the my client in the same friggin dress, it was more embarrassing than funny because it seems like we were part of a girl group or something. Fast fashion brands have done a good job of churning out clothes at a speed of light with another compromise – uniqueness!

Environmental impact.
Thrifting reduces waste and pollution. I read somewhere , the average American now generates 82 pounds of textile waste each year. If you choose to patronise recycling and re-wearing, you’re minimising  carbon footprint. You're limiting the amount of natural resources it takes to create new fabric, make the clothing, and ship it hundreds or thousands of miles to the store.  Instead of throwing clothes directly to the bin – try giving it away to charity or re-selling them online or through flea markets!

One top, worn twice


Having said that, I’m so happy to share that I’ll be having a booth at the upcoming Thrift Market at *Scape on 6th and 7th of July where I will be selling lightly worn or even brand new clothes, shoes and accessories! More information below and on this link:

This market is held once a month at 2 Orchard Link, *SCAPE Level 4 Sky Terrace. It is an INDOORS thrift market for local vendors targeted at thrifty shoppers

This is a lightly curated market and the following merchandise are preferred:

a. Anything that is pre-loved ! (except for those found here :

https://www.police.gov.sg/e-services/apply/licenses-and-permits/secondhand-goods-and-dealers/regulation-of-secondhand-goods-dealers#content

b. New products.

The following merchandise are DISALLOWED

a. Products that are illegal, or infringe in any way on copyrights
b. Products that contravene  the Secondhand Goods Regulations unless you have a license to do so https://www.police.gov.sg/e-services/apply/licenses-and-permits/secondhand-goods-and-dealers/regulation-of-secondhand-goods-dealers#content

All are welcome to participate!
Operating hours:
Sat - 1100 - 2000
Sun - 1000 - 1900
See you there!

Love,
Hanna



RELATED POSTS

0 comments